Assistant Professor-Department of Geology
|Dr. SHYNU. R - Assistant Professor | Department of Geology|
|Academic qualifications||M. Sc in Marine Geology Ph. D in Marine Science|
|Date of Joining||2018-12-20|
|Current Professional status||Assistant Professor in Geology|
|Doctoral Research Experience||Title of Ph. D thesis: Characteristics and sources of suspended and bottom sediments from Mandovi and Zuari estuaries: A comparison|
|Academic Achievements||First Rank in M. Sc Marine Geology, Cochin University, 2007 National Eligibility Test (CSIR-UGC NET)|
|Areas of Academic Interest||Petrology, Sedimentology, Stratigraphy and Geochemistry|
|Papers presented in National/International Seminars||1. Shynu, R.,Kessarkar, P.M., Rao, V. P., Tanuja, R. Narvekar, 2011. Evidence for onshore transport in minor monsoonal estuaries (Mandovi and Zuari) of the west coast of India. 7th International conference on Asian Marine Geology held at NIO, Goa during 11-14th October 2011.
2. Shynu, R.,Rao, V.P., Parthiban, G., Balakrishnan, S., 2012. Geochemistry of the suspended and bottom sediments in the Zuari estuary, central west coast of India. Significance of estuarine turbidity maximum., National seminar on sediments and sedimentary rocks: resource potential, depositional processes, implication to ecosystem and environmental changes, held at Pondicherry University, Poducherry during 20 - 22th December 2012.
3. Shynu, R.,Rao, V.P., Kessarkar, P.M., 2012. Rare earth elements in suspended matter and sediment of the Mandovi-Zuari estuarine system and adjacent coastal sea, western India. 3rd Annual symposium of IGCP 581 on Response of Asian Rivers to climate change - past, present and future scenario' held at Hyderabad during 14-16th November 2012
4. R. Shynu, V. Purnachandra Rao, Pratima M. Kessarkar, S. W. A. Naqvi and P. K. Dineshkumar , 2015. Suspended matter and fluid muds off Alleppey, southwest coast of India. "Dynamics of the Indian Ocean: Perspective and Retrospective" International Symposium on the Indian Ocean organized at National Institute of Oceanography, Goa, India, during 30 November-4 December, 2015
|Invited Lectures/Resource person||Nil|
|Projects (Major/Minor)||1. Characterization of Alleppey Mudbanks, SW coast of India (DST-2014)|
|Symposia/Conference/Workshop/ Conducted/ Attended||1. Short course on reconstruction of the Asian monsoon system: New approaches and techniques,17-30 October, 2016, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur.
2. International workshop on monitoring of river health using diatoms held during 17-19 February, 2010 at periyaruniversity, salem, Tamil Nadu,
3. Refresher course on Marine geology and Marine Geophysics held during 22 October to 2 November, 2007 at National Institute of Oceanography, Goa
4. 171 Induction programme (UGC-HRDC) from 06/09/21 to 05/10/21, University of Kerala
|Honours/Awards||1. DST-Inspire Fellowship, 2009 2. CSIR-Senior research Fellowship, 2012 3. DST-Start up grant for young scientist, 2014|
|Membership Professional Bodies||1. Ocean Society of India|
|Research Output||1. Seasonal variations of SPM along transect stations of both estuaries to identify the processes responsible for its distribution 2. Mineralogy and Sr-Nd isotopic composition of SPM and bottom sediment in the estuaries to delineate their provenance|
|Publications in National/ International Journals||1. Shynu, R., Rao, V. P., Kessarkar, P. M. 2017. Major and trace metals in suspended and bottom sediments of Mandovi and Zuari estuaries, western India: distribution, source and pollution. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 24 (35), 27409-27429.
2. Srinivas, R., Shynu, R., Sreeraj, M.K., Ramachandran, K.K., 2017. Trace metal pollution assessment in the surface sediments of nearshore area, off Calicut, southwest coast of India. Marine pollution Bulletin,120, 370-375.
3. Shynu, R., Rao, V.P., Samisha, S. V., Vethamony, P., Naqvi, S.W. A., Kessarkar, P.M., Babu, M. T., Dineshkumar, P. K. 2017 Suspended matter and fluid muds off Alleppey, southwest coast of India. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 185, 31-43
4. Suja, S., Kessarkar, P. M., Shynu, R., Rao, V.P.,2016 Dynamics of turbidity maximum in Mandovi and Zuari estuaries, southwest coast of India. Current Science, 110 (7), 1165-1168
5. Rao, V. P., Shynu, R., Singh, S. K., Naqvi, S.W.A., Kessarkar, P. M., 2015. Mineralogy and Sr-Nd isotopes of SPM and sediment from the Mandovi and Zuari estuaries: Influence of weathering and anthropogenic contribution. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 156, 103-115
6. Shynu. R., Rao, V. P., Sarma, V.V.S.S., Kessarkar, P. M., Manimurali, R., 2015. Sources and fate of organic matter in suspended and bottom sediments of the Mandovi and Zuari river estuaries, western India. Current Science, 108, 226-238.
7. Shynu, R., Rao, V. P., Parthiban, G., Balakrishnan, S., Narvekar, T., Kessarkar,P. M, 2013. REE in suspended particulate matter and sediment of the Zuari estuary and adjacent shelf, western India: Influence of mining and estuarine turbidity. Marine Geology, 346, 326-342.
8. Kessarkar, P.M., Shynu, R., Rao, V. P., Chong, F., Narvekar, T., Zhang, J, 2013. Geochemistry of the suspended sediment in the estuaries of the Mandovi and Zuari rivers, central west coast of India. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 185, 4461-4480.
9. Shynu, R., Rao, V. P., Kessarkar, P. M., Rao, T. G, 2012. Temporal and spatialvariability of trace metals in suspended matter of the Mandovi estuary, central west coast of India. Environmental Earth Sciences, 65, 725-739.
10. Shynu, R., Rao, V. P., Kessarkar, P. M., Rao, T. G, 2011. Rare earth elementsin suspended and bottom sediments of the Mandovi estuary, central west coast of India: Influence of mining. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 94, 355-368.
11. Rao, V.P., Shynu, R.,Kessarkar, P. M., Sundar, D., Michael, G. S., Narvekar, T., Blossom, V., Mehra, P, 2011. Suspended sediment dynamics on a seasonal scale in the Mandovi and Zuari estuaries, central west coast of India. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 91, 78-86.
12. Kessarkar, P.M., Rao, V. P., Shynu, R.,Mehra, P., Viegas, B. E, 2010. The Nature and Distribution of Particulate Matter in the Mandovi Estuary, Central West Coast of India. Estuaries and Coasts, 33, 30-44.
13. Kessarkar, P.M., Rao, V. P., Shynu, R., Ahmad, I. M., Mehra, P., Michael, G. S., Sundar, D, 2009. Wind-driven estuarine turbidity maxima in Mandovi Estuary, central west coast of India. Journal of Earth System Science, 118, 369-377.